Monday, September 13, 2010

when i die

With my grandpa dying and everyone wanting to do things their way, I decided I would say a few things I definitely want and hope my loved ones will respect when I die. I don't plan on dying until I am at least 98, so these won't be necessary for a looong time. But I can't help but think about them.
I think it would neat to have a slide show or something with "Into the West" by Annie Lennox playing. Sounds a little weird, right? Here are the lyrics:

"Lay down, your sweet and weary head.
Night is falling.
You have come to journey’s end.
Sleep now, and dream
of the ones who came before.
They are calling,
from across a distant shore.

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see.
All of your fears will pass away.
Safe in my arms, you’re only sleeping.

What can you see,
on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea,
a pale moon rises.
The ships have come,
to carry you home.

And all will turn,
to silver glass.
A light on the water.
All souls pass.

Hope fades,
Into the world of night.
Through shadows falling,
Out of memory and time.

Don’t say,
We have come now to the end.
White shores are calling.
You and I will meet again.
And you’ll be here in my arms,
Just sleeping.

What can you see,
on the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea,
a pale moon rises.
The ships have come,
to carry you home.
And all will turn,
to silver glass.
A light on the water.
Grey ships pass
Into the West."

I feel like everything I would want to say to my loved ones after I die is in this song; that I am being carried home, that they should not weep, that one day we will meet again. And it is just this beautiful, haunting song.
And then I would want Jill to say some things about me.
And I want everyone to be given wands. And after the speech, I want everyone to lift them up in the air, like they did for Dumbledore.
Then I want glow sticks thrown about and a dance party to ensue because I am in HEAVEN!
I am not joking. This is for real.
And I want to be cremated and my ashes to be buried/thrown somewhere I love, my favorite place, which I don't think I know what that is yet. So let's just say the ocean for now.
But I still want a tombstone, in Norman. That says something really neat, like "now i settle in to watch the universe flow by." or maybe something a bit more off, a Dumbledore quote, or maybe Lil Wayne. Who knows. Something kind of quirky, you know? Like "Robyn Lynn Mitchell: beloved daughter, friend, and cabbage." or something more profound like "Stand Unafraid". So, obviously, that part needs some finalizing.
Anyways, this may have been a downer. Hope not. Heaven awaits.

1 comment:

  1. I like your quote about settling in to watch the universe go by. For once, something gives a restful image of the dead. I can see a ghost sitting there or cuddled up in warm dirt to nap and watch the universe. And i hope we still know one another when we're old. When we see each other we'll be like 'there goes that crazy old lady'. then if your tombstone says 'cabbage' somewhere on it, everyone will come visit...just to see the words and wonder or remember what that crazy, spunky old lady was like! :)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete