Monday, November 25, 2013

One Step Closer

Firstly, my i-pod is dead and I don't have a charger, so I have to take art photos with my very low quality phone camera. But here are two recent art journal pages.


 I really like the style of this last one. 

But now, for what I came to talk about. 

I was hiking about a week ago, and it was this very steep incline. I wasn't even prepared to go hiking, it was an impromptu decision. I was wearing jeans and ballet flats. Not at all optimal for hiking. and the way we were going up, there was no path. We were sidestepping cacti, trying to catch traction to not slide backward. But every time I looked up, I could see the top. And I wanted to be there. I wanted to be up on those rocks, looking out over the town, and surrounding cities too. I knew it would be worth it. And even though I felt so far away from the top, all I kept thinking was "Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Each step is step closer to your destination, to where you want to be."

And since then, I still keep thinking that to myself. Working full time at a physically exhausting job leaves little energy or time to push forward with my art, or with my studying to become a life coach. And I wonder if it will always be pushed aside, if it will ever take the forefront of my attention and focus and energy. Because it is my dream, it is where I want to be. But sometimes getting there seems so overwhelming and I feel so stuck in my current circumstances.

But I keep repeating to myself, "Just one step, each step brings you closer to where you want to be." Each painting, each art journal page, each doodle, even each blog post, or idea for videos or art concepts. They are steps, albeit small ones. But each time I practice art, or mindfulness, or compassion, or self healing; it is a step to where I want to be.

And yes, sometimes I wonder if I am walking in circles, or always taking one step forward and two steps back, and if I will be taking steps forever and never be where I want. But I keep gathering the strength to pick up on foot and move it slightly forward. Because moving is the point of it all. I could stand at a crossroads, and just build a house there, not moving any direction at all. Or I could pick a direction and move, and even if I end up going the wrong way for awhile, I am moving forward, I am learning and growing from the movement.

And if I take enough steps, one day, when I put one foot in the front of the other, that foot will land on my destination. It may look so far away, but each day I am moving my feet forward towards it.

And in the meantime, the movement brings me growth and healing and wisdom.

Keep walking, friends. It will be worth it.

-Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment