Sunday, February 23, 2014

It's okay to miss out.

There's a lot of stuff in the world. 
There are a lot of shows, and a lot of events, and a lot of friends that want you to do things. 
There are a lot of plans that can be made. 
But more than anything, there is a lot to miss out on.

And it can feel bad. 
It can feel like you don't know as much as others, like you are living under a rock, like others are living a better life than you. 
When we don't watch the shows or movies that others do, when we don't go to the events that our friends do, when we don't learn the cool skill that someone else knows, we can feel inferior and not enough. 
We feel out of the loop. 

But what I am learning to do lately is to breathe. And then to let those insecurities go. 
I am enough, my activities are enough, my pursuits are enough. 
I would not be a better me if I saw every episode of Game of Thrones. 
I would not be a better me if I went to a concert or party. 

I'm not saying you should hole up and never experience things.
I'm just saying that it's okay to have priorities and for those priorities to be different from everyone else's. 
And it's okay to let some things slip by. 

We can't be on top of everything all the time. 
But we can focus our time and energy on things that bring us joy and growth. 

Right now, all I can think about is embroidery, poetry, and making things for my etsy shop. 
And that's okay. 
Those things make me really happy. 

And sometimes I don't feel like catching up on even my favorite shows.
Sometimes I have to cancel plans with much loved friends because I have a limited supply of energy and I really just want to make art and read poetry. 
Sometimes I am out of the loop and don't know the latest gossip or news. 
But I am growing, I am creating, I am experiencing what makes my spirit dance. 

There is a lot going on in the world. 
There is so much to experience. 
That's what makes living so amazing. 
You can do so much. 
You just have to learn to be okay with what you choose to have time and energy for.

Choose what makes you happy and what you are excited about in this moment, let the rest go.
That is okay. 
You are okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment