Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What I Learned: My Week Offline

Let me tell you about my week offline! I learned a few things, some that surprised me. The first thing is that my body needs exercise! I didn't exercise for about four days and I felt terrible. My body got so sluggish. I need to treat my body like the temple that it is! 

The second thing I learned is that the internet and my artistic creativity do not seem to be directly in correlation to one another. I thought that giving up all that internet time would lend more time to create. But I have not done any art in the past week. Surprisingly, I have written more. An unexpected result to this experiment. 

 I also found that I did not miss Tumblr or Facebook as much as I thought I would. People would often say things like "Did you see this on facebook?" and I did not feel at all worried about missing out on something. I felt free from it actually. Free from all the keeping up that one does online, keeping up with friends' (often trivial) updates on Facebook, keeping up with Blogger, and every single picture posted on Tumblr. Not having to spend hours a day scrolling through things was definitely freeing. 

I did miss all the inspirational blogs from Twitter though. And I missed having Youtube videos to watch while I eat. 

It has also made me realize that I have so many memberships on so many blogs! I don't want or need such a large internet presence!  With my blog, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Tumblr, and countless others all over the web, I can feel stretched too thin at times!

So, I suppose the greatest thing I learned from my stint offline, is the freedom of letting go. Of letting go of these false obligations to be in the know, to follow everyone's minor whim and thought and action on Facebook, of being as cute and funny as my favorite Youtubers, of reblogging the right balance of nerd humor and artsy pictures, of reading all the blogs that pop up on twitter, of seeing every artwork posted on Deviantart. 

Because really, following people and subscribing, adds this sense of obligation. And if someone inspires you and you enjoy their work, then following can be a great way to stay in touch with what they are doing, but it can go over board when you are following many people across many social websites. It weighs down your internet browsing experience and time. To get through all the updates from those I am following all over the web, it usually takes about two hours. Usually more. 

But really, if I really am a fan of one's work and want to keep up with them, I would be able to do it without following their every move constantly. Because let's face it, if you are a true fan of someone, you will think of them outside of the internet, outside of your feed of them. And if they or their work is an out of sight/out of mind scenario, then you probably are not passionate enough about them to keep up the obligation of following them. If you are a true fan of a band, artist, life coach, any kind of person in general, you won't have to have a daily feed to keep your attention on them, you will seek out news about them, and that is how you will keep the gems and really focus on them. It's about quality over quantity. 

Anywhom those are just my thoughts and such on my week offline. It was bittersweet. I will probably be doing them again when I am feeling overwhelmed by the internets! I hope you are all doing well and swell and merry! Also, here is some art that I made before going offline! 



 This one is probably my favorite artwork of mine to date!



No comments:

Post a Comment